August 03, 2012

Caricature Study of a Cutie Pie

This is a caricature study I did of my daughter from a picture taken back in the 90's. I had done a caricature of one of her brothers and she's been asking me to do one of her. She's a cute kid and not as easy to work with as her then 12 year old awkward brother was. I've always loved this image I took of her climbing a tree and it was pretty clear so I decided to take a shot at it.

Caricaturing women and children can be hard because we never want to offend. My goal in a caricature portrait is to make a fun picture, not make fun of anyone. Now political satire is a whole other ballgame and sometimes we play a little rougher in that game. Anyhow with this one, I made very subtle adjustments and exaggerations working the cute angle more than strictly exaggerating the promenant features. One wrong move or a bit too much and it's ugly. I hope this one isn't considered ugly. I tried my best. I hadn't planned on publishing this but it was such a hit on Google+ and facebook that I just had to. It's not my best work but then again I don't know what my best work is yet because I haven't produced it yet. Lots of fun though and as always a good learning experience.












Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day and be inspired!